   Re: [xml-dev] Typing and paranoia

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002 14:44:55 -0500, Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
 wrote:

> There is no guarantee that the binary formats exported by one process make
> sense ton the next, even on the same architecture. I'm confident I can
> make sense out of XML on both ends. I'm not so sure about binary formats.

In my mind, "binary" is a bit of a misnomer and red herring.  The issue
is Infoset serializations that are optimized for something or other ...
parsing speed, compactness, authorability, etc. etc. etc.  How they
handle non-text data (in a native binary format, in a compressed
text format, or in a more compact markup format than XML's) is
an open question.