   Re: [xml-dev] Typing and paranoia

"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" wrote:

> Data is portable.  Software interoperates.

May I respectfully disagree. It is because all of us with sufficient experience have learned that data 'intended' for one application does not interoperate in another that we have turned to markup. IMHO a marked-up document is not data; it is perhaps best imagined as
the precursor to data. A particular process operating upon a marked-up document on a particular occasion will produce the semantically rich output which we may regard as data. That data is not portable; it is instantiated in a particular form for the particular
expectations of particular processes, which are themselves embodied as software.

Respectfully,

Walter Perry