   binary flavors (was typing and paranoia)

robin.berjon@expway.fr (Robin Berjon) writes:
>And indeed it is. The problem is that the vast majority of a hugely
>vast field still leaves a vast minority. Vast enough to cause interop
>trouble.

I can see that interop trouble coming, but worry that my perspective on
interop trouble and the W3C's perspective on interop trouble are so far
out of whack that we may have another case of a hazily-recognized
problem which can't generate enough problem-solving momentum.

See, for instance, the tremendous progress on XML packaging at:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-packaging/

I suspect this is a clearer issue than packaging, but also worry that
the people who want to solve may not be interested in solving it as part
of a community project, or may only want to solve it in a "gated
community" (think ws-i.org) context. I may not have much fondness for
the W3C's process or their priorities, but between their current
position at the center of XML and their recent decisions on intellectual
property, it seems a safer harbor.

What we can do to get this ball rolling?    ISO already has work going
in this field as well - maybe investigating that in more detail would be
the right place to start.

http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/xml/

--
Simon St.Laurent