   Re: [xml-dev] bohemians, gentry

> and these systems have no way of storing
> a comment in between the digits of a single decimal number.

Databases are wonderful things. However I see no reason why the W3C
should so corrupt its core XML technologies such as XPath just so
database marketing types can call their systems XML based.

> And one reason this can be helpful is the kind of interoperability problems
> illustrated by your example: How many numbers does the following element
> contain?

> <Weight>0<!--I added this leading 0 for a reason-->123.4560</Weight>

If it is schema typed to a decimal (or even if it isn't) then clearly
it is one number. I also don't have much objection to Xpath being
extended in a way that allows a schema processor to report those
types. (It is almost never useful at transformation time, schema/dtd are
mainly authoring constraints, but it isn't actively harmful) so I don't
much mind if the Xpath2 typed value of that node is 123.456 however
the string value of that node in Xpath1 is 01234.4560 and any system
in which the string value is something else should not call itself
Xpath.

David