   Re: [xml-dev] The privilege of XML parsing - Data types,binary XML and X

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 12:21:53PM -0500, Roger L. Costello wrote:
>I have some questions about something that you said: "Applications come and go
>but data lives forever".  I believe that when you say "data" you are referring
>just to the string:
>
><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
><aircraft>
>    <elevation>12000</elevation>
></aircraft>
>
>and not to any data model that might be associated with this string.  Thus,
>this string endures over time but not data models (or applications).  Right?
>
>This seems a bit unsettling to me.  It is the data model that provides meaning
>to the string.  The data model allows me to understand the aircraft and
>elevation elements.   I would imagine that it is the combination of the data
>and the data model which endure.  What are your thoughts on this?  /Roger

I certainly don't think so.  After all, the above example obviously refers
to the showcasing of scale-model airplanes, and the elevation element is in
thousands of an inch.

Right?

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis                    amyzing {at} talsever.com
The flesh is strong.  The spirit stronger.  So shed your skin, baby.