   Re: [xml-dev] Namespace URI question

Jeff Lowery wrote:
> Sorry, I mistyped that. Let's try again:
>
> xmlns:foo="file:///foodom.xsd"
>
> My (possibly incorrect) understanding (although I have read the RFC) is that
> the URI location is {base URL} + /foodom.xsd.

Not quite correct.
The relevant RFC is
  http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt
(unless it has been obsoleted by a newer one recently.
Your URL is an absolute URL. This is *not* the same as an
absolute (file) path. However, an absolute URL is not to
be resolved against a base URL, by definition. Only relative
URLs can and often should be resolved, thereby producing an
absolute URL (also by definition).

 >  Meaning its an absolute path,
 > relative to the root-of-the-moment.
I have no idea what this should mean.

In any case, it is unusual and perhaps unwise to use a file URL
to indentify a name space. While the spec is fuzzy enough to allow
basically arbitrary Unicode strings, the rationale for choosing
URIs is to uniquely identify the name space, i.e. to provide a
string unique in the whole universe. Using HTTP URLs comes
reasonably close to this intention.

J.Pietschmann