   Re: [xml-dev] SVG and Visio, XML and Office

12/12/2002 7:34:00 AM, Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net> wrote:

>This is by far the most open and standards-compliant version of MS
>Office in history.

Yes!  I was deeply impressed.  Not to mention glad I don't work for
an XML authoring tool vendor anymore :-)  The 800lb gorilla has pointed to the XML
authoring space and said "me sit THERE!".

I'm sure that many of us have less than warm and fuzzy feelings
about this, but IMHO it's time to stop worrying and LOVE all the
XML that the Borg is about to spew out into the world.  I was
at a discussion at XML 2002 last night in which it was asserted
that there is more data in Excel format than in all the RDBMS
in all the world ... and Word has several times as much content
under its control as this.  We shall see how much of this gets into
Saved As XML, of course, but I suspect that the challenge for many
of us will be to figure out how to motivate people to do that so
that they can take advantage of all the "downstream" advantages
that XML enables.

[speaking bare-headed, wearing no W3C or Day Job hats, of course!]