   RE: [xml-dev] Namespace URI question

Okay, okay... now get it.

> It's not a relative URI any more than http://127.0.0.1/~richard is.
>
> Its interpretation depends on the machine you use it on, but not on
> the current base URI.

So, it's not relative. But localhost is relative. So it's an absolute
address with a "relative" localhost at the root. I'm not trying to argue
semantics, I'm just saying that there is a relative component to this
address. That's not to say that it's a relative URI.

> On the other hand, it's not a very good namespace name because it
> isn't tied to the author in the way a URI containing a normal domain
> name is.  Someone else might use it with just as much justification as
> you.  As the Namespace spec says:
>
>   The namespace name, to serve its intended purpose, should have the
>   characteristics of uniqueness and persistence.

Good citation.

I came across this namespace declaration in a someone else's document (which
I told him to change), but got stuck on the meaning of file:///foo.xsd.  I
see now that the third slash means "localhost", which of course I should
have known but I got mentally blocked on file path representations.  Now I'm
back aboard the clue train.