Lists Home |
Date Index |
- To: XML Dev <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Potentially interesting job at G8's Open Knowledge Network
- From: Tim Bray <email@example.com>
- Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 09:52:01 -0800
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20021130
These people have been going around asking people (myself and Rohit
Khare are two that I know of) how they might go about what they're up
to. They seem to me like people trying to do something valuable and
OKN is recruiting again - this time we're looking for a Software Solutions
Architect. This is a unique one-year opportunity for a leading software
specialist to take the lead on developing a global open source system with a
potentially high impact in the South.
The full advertisement is available online at
http://jobs.oneworld.net/ads/index.cfm?job_id=1892, but I have also posted
the job description below.
Please do circulate this message to anyone you think might be interested. We
would of course welcome applications from any members of this list with the
right experience and qualifications.
The deadline for applications is 5pm on Friday 10th January and interviews
will be held at the end of January. Please note that we will not accept CVs
for this position. For an application pack email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please contact me if you have any questions about this position.
JOB TITLE: Software Solutions Architect, Open Knowledge Network
SALARY: OneWorld International is a non-profit organisation. Within the
context of the Open Knowledge Network project and OneWorld’s values (see
http://www.oneworld.net/about), we aim to pay an appropriate salary for an
REPORTING TO: OneWorld Technical Director
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF JOB:
The Open Knowledge Network, www.openknowledge.net, is an initiative of the
G8 Digital Opportunity Taskforce (DOTForce) linking together existing
grassroots information and knowledge-sharing initiatives. Its aim is to
promote both the creation and the exchange of local content as widely as
possible across the South, supported by a range of different information and
communication technologies (ICTs). The programme is coordinated by OneWorld
International and its network of southern offices.
This is a unique one-year opportunity for a leading software specialist to
take the lead on developing a global open source system with a potentially
high impact in the South.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
1. Solution Architecture Modelling and Design
· Approve user requirements to ensure adequate detail provided to produce
· Research, conceptualise and create the overall software model for the OKN
using leading internet tools, giving full consideration to non-proprietary
technologies and open standards.
· Using existing tools and technologies design an appropriate software
solution and network architecture to meet the aims of the OKN project.
· Evaluate and synthesise ideas from a range of sources
· Produce technical and software specification documentation to allow remote
software development and network infrastructure teams to implement solutions
· Draw on extensive experience to create (an) appropriate solution(s) to
meet the aims of the OKN
2. Programme Coordination
· Co-ordinate cross-functional aspects of the technology side of the OKN
· Liaise with technical and OKN managerial staff and consultants working on
OKN technology, both internal and external
· Integrate OKN technology with mainstream web, database, and CMS
· Plan, spec and oversee the building of the software for the OKN pilot in
East Africa in Spring 2003
3. OKN Implementation Activities
· Coordinate the set-up and configuration of all technical components of the
OKN pilot in East Africa in Spring 2003
· Participate in and evaluate the OKN pilot in East Africa in Spring 2003
· Write a follow-up complete technical spec for presentation to a technical
meeting in early Summer 2003
4. Communications and Coordination
· Act as an ongoing point of contact in the OKN team for software
deployment, testing and enhancement
· Liaise with OKN technical partners including those working with phone and
· Liaise with backend software suppliers and platform maintenance operation,
likely to be located in India
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
· Five years’ experience of working with internet-related architectures
· Experience of file-sharing and interfacing within distributed networks
· Familiarity with all internet protocols and standards including XML, SOAP,
RDF, CORBA XSL/XSLT, etc
· Experience working with content management systems and database systems
· Commitment to working under open source principles
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
· Significant experience of developing open source software systems.
· Understanding and experience of the interface with different delivery
mechanisms for OKN content including satellite and phone.
· Understanding of the potential of information and communication
technologies for development
· Understanding of the implications of designing and developing
architectures for use in the South
In the first instance this will be a twelve-month contract. Secondments and
The base location for this position is negotiable. The Software Solutions
Architect will need to spend the majority of her/his time between OneWorld
International in London and OneWorld South Asia in New Delhi.
To apply: see www.oneworld.net/jobs for more information. To receive an
application pack email email@example.com. No CVs. Deadline for application
forms: 5pm, Friday 10th January 2003. Interviews: end of January.
--- You are currently subscribed to okn as: firstname.lastname@example.org To
unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-okn-36214P@dgroups.org