   Re: [xml-dev] Namespace URI question

On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 09:26:40AM -0500, Bill Kearney wrote:
> > I came across this namespace declaration in a someone else's document (which
> > I told him to change), but got stuck on the meaning of file:///foo.xsd.  I
> > see now that the third slash means "localhost", which of course I should
[...]
> Err, that's not consistent from browser to browser.  Esp wrt a windows box but
> others mangle it as well.  Also, the namespace URI isn't required to reference a
> resolvable document, it's just an identifier.  You're suggesting that the URI

  The main objection against a file:/// URI to be used as a namespace name
is that it doesn't offer any guarantee of uniqueness needed precisely by
namespace name to disambiguate vocabularies. file://example.com/foobar is
fine in that respect. Actually that's a good way to make sure nobody is gonna
attempt to retrieve a resource there since file:// doesn't specify the protocol
used for access ;-) (one more problem in that file: URL scheme !)

Daniel