   Re: [xml-dev] Internal entities removed from XML?

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 13:15:35 -0800, Doug Ransom <Doug.Ransom@pwrm.com>
wrote:

> To load any valid XML 1.0 document, you have to go out of your way.  Its
> not super-hard, but many developers are not going to realize this and not
> test with documents with entity references.  Their products will tend not
> to fail until they hit the field.  As a result, people will be loathe to
> include entity references in their documents knowing most .net programs
> are not designed for XML 1.0, but a subset of XML 1.0 that exludes entity
> references.

[Wondering what Microsoft put the in beer at XML 2002 last week ... I can't
believe I'm arguing on the side of the Borg twice in one week ;-) ]

This seems perfectly sensible to me.  It's a way for vendors to say "we
support the standards as written, but we encourage our customers to use the
profiles that avoid the ratholes ."  Also, I'm sure it is no coincidence
that .NET's XML tools appear to be focused on the subset of XML that SOAP
employs.  This subset/profiling issue, and why SOAP uses a subset of XML,
was a hot topic on the TAG list over the last couple of weeks, so people
might want to look through the archives to get a sense of what the "other
side" (whichever side you are on)  has to say.