   Re: [xml-dev] Internal entities removed from XML?

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 07:17:25 -0800, Dare Obasanjo <dareo@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> Yes, extra steps are needed to parse entities.

> I remember asking about this a while ago and the answer  was related to
> last minute code changes for perf reasons.

Thanks for the clarification.  That's what I thought I was responding to in
the first place :-)

Some seemed to be saying that it is a Bad Thing to require those extra
steps in order to parse arbitrary, legal XML.  I personally have no problem
with it -- whether it be a bug or a feature -- simply because it *seems* to
reflect the reality that I repeatedly hear about: one can make significant
optimizations in an implementation if there is some understanding that
there will be no entities to expand.  The *user* chooses whether to be
liberal at some cost (in performance, in vulerability to the billion laughs
attack, or whatever), or conservative.