   Re: [xml-dev] Common XML (was Re: Internal entities)

> > > However, if there is another person "X" who
> > > uses tomorrow different syntax to express same meaning
> > > or same syntax to express different meaning, etc...
> > > (i.e. not being conservative)
> > > than the best think I can do is to ignore his/her information at all.
> > >
> > > This is actually a topic map authoring in a nut shell. :-))
> > > Indeed, you can use RM4TM to "udermap"
> > > (is it a good neologism ?) any markup.
> >
> > Nikita, is it a typo for "undermap" or possibly "ubermap" ;-) Not sure I
> > see what you mean here. Can you give a use case?
> >

> Thanks, Sam!
> Yep it was supposed to be "undermap". :-(
> However, it might be not that good idea after all,
> as I just discovered an unwanted connotation here.
> I meant "creating underlying map" not "insufficient mapping".

The way I express is this is that topic maps can "embrace and
extend" ;-) any existing markup scheme. See e.g.:

    http://www.etopicality.com/presentations/KT_2002/omnivore.html

tmtk, the topic map toolkit available at www.gooseworks.org, includes an
implementation of this approach, based on the draft ISO Reference Model
(the RM) for topic maps.

Sam Hunting
eTopicality, Inc.

"Turn your searching experience into a finding experience."(tm)

Topic map consulting and training: www.etopicality.com
Free open source topic map tools:  www.gooseworks.org

XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.