   XML Schema Validation Problem

Title: XML Schema Validation Problem

Hi everybody,

Firstly, I'm new to the list so a quick intro, I program in VB6 SP5 MSXML4 at work OS is Windows 2K Professional.  My experience is fairly short with XML (approx 6-8 months), currently I am building XML-Schemas for data exchange between two progams.  I have used XSLT in the past but it is not required for this project.

I am having a problem with namespaces at the moment and wondered if anyone could help.  Obviously if this is the wrong forum for this question please let me know ;-)

I have a Schema that has 2 namespaces.  This is referenced by an XML document.  I can successfully parse the XML against the schema, however I cannot then assign any data to an Object using the SelectSingleNode method of a FreeThreadedDOMDocument40.  According to the object browser this should return an IXMLDOMNode, the result I get is the object is still nothing. (Sample XML1)

***************
Sample XML1
***************
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Environment xmlns="xyz" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="xyz simple_env.xsd">

</Environment>

*********************************
Sample Schema
Used with all 3 XML samples
*********************************

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                                targetNamespace="xyz"
                                xmlns="xyz"
                                elementFormDefault="unqualified" attributeFormDefault="unqualified">
        <xs:element name="Environment">
        </xs:element>
</xs:schema>

If I remove the Namespaces and just use a basic structure (Sample XML2), the xml still parses and I get a return value from SelectSingleNode.  The only problem being that the schema is not then enforced and I can invent any tags I like in the xml without a parse error (Sample XML3).

****************
Sample XML2
****************

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Environment xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="xyz simple_env.xsd">

</Environment>

****************
Sample XML3
****************
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Environment xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="xyz simple_env.xsd">
        <fred/>
</Environment>

Incidentally I have tried using the Microsoft example from the MSDN and this has the same problem.

Thanks in advance

Jason

Jason Brown
I2 Limited