   RE: [xml-dev] SkunkLink: a skunkworks XML linking proposal

There were a lot of serious complaints about XLink because it requires
attribute prefixes. I can't imagine the HTML folks favorably regarding the
URI-as-content idea.

But I see your point. You could just as well have said:

<para>Check <link _="http://www.cnn.com/WEATHER"; /> before you fly to Los
Angeles.</para>

It still provides essentially one piece of information: the target URI.

I also must disagree with your point. I don't think acceptance of any
particular linking technology has been greatly impeded by dispute over what
information should be captured by the link. Most of the disputes I see are
about the surface minutia: Elements vs Attributes; Namespaces; mandated GIs
vs Choose-your-own-GIs.

I submit that this is the really hard part: coming up with an easy to use
and widely attractive _syntax_ for linking.

-Wayne Steele