   RE: [xml-dev] Still not the essence of XML (was Re: [xml-dev] S-expressi

  • To: "Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@allette.com.au>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Still not the essence of XML (was Re: [xml-dev] S-expressions vs. XML)
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 11:11:21 -0800

S-exprs are equivalent to XML for a large class of XML users. First of all if you think about why most people use XML you'll realize it's mostly because of the network effect and not anything intrinsically fantastic about angle brackets. In working with XML I've seen two broad classes of XML users those who want to represent structured data [database exportation and unified query, web services, RSS feeds, config files, etc] and those who actually want to mark up content. Most of the former do not need XML features like PIs, entities or encodings and in fact tend to shun them. Secondly, from my experience working with XML there are a lot more data-centric users of XML than there are markup/document centric users.