   Re: [xml-dev] XSLT for desktop applications

[Kanchana D S ]
> Can XSLT be used for desktop applications? If so, how ? We have the
requirement to design the GUI for a desktop application using XSLT. The help
for developing non-web based applications (WinForms in the .NET
environment)using xslt seems to be very little. That is, is it possible to
generate the user interface for a WinForms application using XSLT?

If you are developing WinForms in .NET (using .NET Studio, I assume), then
the best thing might be to use the .NET Studio capabilities for building
desktop UI forms to use your WinForms.  I would think that anything else
would be very difficult, since Microsoft puts so much MS-specific code into
those forms.

Otherwise, a lot depends on how you want the desktop client to work.  If you
are going to use a browser, and tha browser can be limited to IE or Mozilla,
it would probably not be hard to do.

If you mean a regular desktop application, such as you might write in C++ or
Java, and if all the data stays internal to the application (that is, it
does not come from a server), there may not be much need for XML and XSLT.

You could probably get more useful guidance if you said a little more about
these applications and why someone wanted touse xslt.

Cheers,

Tom P