   re: [xml-dev] XML as generic villain

Rex Brooks writes:

 > I ran across this opinion piece and gagged until it began to seem
 > funny, so I thought you all might like a chuckle. Of all the uses to
 > which XML can be put, the tool of greedy hardware vendors is a new
 > one on me.
 >
 > http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2908614,00.html

I haven't looked at this one yet, but it's worth noting that there was
a lot of suspicion about XML at the start simply because Microsoft was
supporting it so strongly.  Open Source developers seem to like XML
now (judging by the number of XML-based save formats), but we had to
win their trust.

David

p.s. I know that others have had different experiences, but for the
record, every Microsoft rep I remember working with on W3C committees
was a friendly, skilled person who made constructive contributions and
was ready to compromise.  I'm no fan of the company, but there are
some good people there (besides, *someone* has to be leaking all those
memos).

--
David Megginson, david@megginson.com, http://www.megginson.com/