   Re: [xml-dev] How to handle multi lingual capability

Murthy,

For starters, I think you would want to utilize the xml:lang attribute
in the XML documents - in other words, repeat the text in the multiple
languages as needed and mark them accordingly.  For example (pardon my
lack of French):

<MyText>
   <Text xml:lang="fr">French goes here</Text>
   <Text xml:lang="it">Italiano e' qui</Text>
   <Text xml:lang="en">English goes here</Text>
</MyText>

Next, you would create an XSLT stylesheet to select the proper element
based on the language:

<xsl:stylesheet version = '1.0'
     xmlns:xsl='http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform'>

<xsl:template match="Text">
     <MyText>
          <xsl:choose>
               <xsl:when test='lang("fr")'>
                    <xsl:Text>French version: </xsl:Text>
               </xsl:when>
               <xsl:when test='lang("it")'>
                    <xsl:Text>Italian version: </xsl:Text>
               </xsl:when>
               <xsl:when test='lang("en")'>
                    <xsl:Text>English version: </xsl:texT>
               </xsl:when>
          </xsl:choose>
          <xsl:value-of select="."/>
     </MyText>
</xsl:template>

Hope that helps,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton
</xsl:stylesheet>

subramiyam m wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have to develop a system that is for the Middle East geography and my customer wants to have english and arabic interfaces to be available for the application we are building.
>
> We are using Microsoft HTCs - edit sheet, list sheet, dynamic table etc - sql 2000 and features supported by the database server for xml queries etc. We have style sheets and use XSLT.
>
> I want to know how to handle multi lingual needs of the customer. i want to be able to have a language switch button that would toggle the presentation - text mostly - of the user interface.
>
> suggestions on how to do this and if any examples are available that you know.
>
> Thank you
> -Murthy

> @ Free email yourname@surimail.com > http://surimail.com
> # Send nice ecards 4 every ocassion >> http://suricards.com
> ^ Your homepage, no experience needed >>> http://suripages.com

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano