   RE: [xml-dev] Adam Bosworth Article - what does "direct access" mean?

  • To: XML DEV <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Adam Bosworth Article - what does "direct access" mean?
  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 13:12:20 -0600

Ummm... before this all becomes a slugfest,
maybe we should continue to ask, "what does direct
access mean".  I'm all for easier programming.
If that is at the cost of losing the data portability,
then we pay the cost of harder programming.  Bosworth
knows what the tradeoffs are, so I suspect he is
about to make some suggestions.  I am curious and
the XQuery example has merit.

If we need a day of self-flagelation, the article

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/general_article-6430.html

is the one that makes me saddest mostly because
we knew long before XML or the self-appointed DARPA
committee where this was heading.  The last 15 years of our
work made it possible, but XML is the nitro in the
gasoline.  Now, RDF on top to make it all coherent,
logical, just as wrong, and on schedule per prediction.

Dammed monkeys.

One can always say as Nobel did, that his invention
did not maim; improper application did.  But shown
the results by a grieving mother, he dedicated his
life to stopping the causes.  Would that we spent
less time on Homeland Security and more time on
Human Security.  We'll need it.

len