   Re: [xml-dev] Adam Bosworth Article - what does "direct access" mean?

"Alaric B. Snell" wrote:

> Whereas in a programming language we have to access our XML via various ungainly
> constructs, in XSLT it's a lot
> simpler because XSLT's data model is the XML data model so you don't need to do
> any conversions.

As I said to Joshua Allen, argument by petitio principii:  if your (grossly limited
subset of) XML conforms to a (brittle, agreed a priori) datamodel and your
programming methodology shares precisely the same datamodel, then by virtue of that
sharing of that datamodel (or in logical terms the identity of premise and
conclusion) your XML thus defined will quite likely be most conveniently processed
(or in the terms of this thread, directly accessed) by that similarly limited
programming methodology. But because this is a clear and simple case of petitio
principii, we could substitute any two terms in the same relationship for 'XML' and
'programming methodology' in this argument ('city' and 'large, complex rabbit',
anyone?) and assuredly reach the same conclusion. But what of it?

Respectfully,

Walter Perry