   RE: [xml-dev] Adam Bosworth Article - what does "direct access"mean?

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Joshua Allen wrote:

> The point I took away was that languages like XPath are suited for
> handling XML, while languages like Java are not.  Therefore, as
> programmers find themselves more frequently manipulating XML, they need
> to either use XPath/XQuery/XSLT or else get better support in their
> language of choice.

XSLT provides, for XML, unparallelled integration with the data model, or
'direct access' possibilities.
unfortunately it is not a programming paradigm that many, what was the
term, weenie programmers (?) are comfortable with. also xsl is highly
focused on a particular type of problem - transformations.
this was the reason for creating o:XML, which aims to be an orthogonal
technology to XSLT by providing a procedural, object-oriented language
with 'direct' XML access, geared at XML generation and processing.
since, as Bosworth apparently thinks (quote from previous mail),
"it is becoming increasingly necessary for developers to directly access
and manipulate XML documents."
and, at least on the planet i'm on, he's not wrong.

regards,

/m

Martin Klang
http://www.o-xml.org - the object-oriented XML programming language