   RE: [xml-dev] Adam Bosworth Article - what does "direct access" m ean?

From: Martin Klang [mailto:martin@hack.org]

>well it's not quite the XSLT data model, and it's not used in the
>transformation of XML files in the same way as XSLT. but pretty close.

Fair enough.

>a lot of people don't like XSLT because it doesn't fit their view of
>what a _real_ programming language should look like.

That's true.

>others don't like it because it doesn't fit their view of what _real_ XML
>is. but come on, loosen up a bit chaps! it's just a bloody tool, you don't
>have to use it if you don't want to.

Ok.  I was simply trying to understand it as an exercise in exploring
what Bosworth was alluding to:  as I said, and the alternatives are?
Otherwise, I've no objections to the objects. :-)  We built something
like that for the US Navy MID (circa '93/95).  We got the bejesus beat
out of us by SGMLers who were enamored of HTML and the HTMLers who
didn't understand why it might be a good idea to script in the
same syntax as the content was marked.  Times change and what
was once a dog can become a dog show champion.  Taste, partially,
but also functionality when the desirability of it is realized.

>use the source, len.
>not all on the www is html. sorry for not making it clear on the page.

Not a problem.  I did look at the source, and view sourced the
stylesheet link.  The stylesheet link was confusing me because I
expected it to be XSLT.  The executes worked great.

len