   Review of XML Schemas datatypes

As part of the ISO DSDL effort (which is putting together a
modular framework for schema/validation languages, aiming
to provide a complement and alterative to DTDs and W3C XML
Schemas) I have been tasked with compiling a critique of
XML Schemas Datatypes. (See A. Lewis' "Not my Type" article
at http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/07/31/wxstypes.html?page=1
for an interesting set of comments.)

The particular issues this critique will feed into is

 * whether ISO DSDL should adopt WXS datatypes holus bolus, just
the primitives or builtins, some restricted set, or develop its own;
 * whether ISO DSDL should adopt the apparatus of facets;
 * whether ISO DSDL should also adopt the apparatus of type derivation
used with the XML Schemas datatypes;
 * whether ISO DSDL should specify some additional primitives
to augment where XML Schemas is weak;
 * what should ISO DSDL do about references;
 * what should ISO DSDL do about time.

So can I invite responses from XML-DEV for this. I guess I am not
so much interested in "gDate sucks" comments as much
as I am in "I wanted or expected or needed to do XXX but
I could only do YYY".    In other words, practical problems
that people want to fix.

ISO DSDL has a bias towards publishing requirements, but this is
quite broad and includes web forms validation as well as books.
 I have been reviewing industry-standard DTDs in the publishing
industry to see what kinds of datatypes are required.

Also, please note that people with problems with existing
XML Schemas datatypes might care to email the XML Schema
comments list.  The W3C XML Schema Working Group is
working very hard to address the particular issues that people
raise, within the WXS framework.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe