   Re: [xml-dev] OT: adobe svg plugin namespacing problem

Hi,

> I have an svg file that works with Adobe’s plug-in. Inside I have the
> following svg graphic element, <svg:circle cx="20" cy="20" r="10"
> fill="#cfc000;"/>
>
> If I put this inside of another namespaced element, for example
> <mynmspace:element><svg:circle cx="20" cy="20" r="10"
> fill="#cfc000;"/></mynmspace:element> the svg circle is no longer
> being displayed.
>
> I am of the opinion that svg:circle should be displayed, although I
> realize there may be some arguments on the namespace perma-thread
> which would be in disagreement with this opinion.

It's not a question of disagreeing here, the SVG 1.0 recommendation
specificies the behavior of an SVG user agent in this case and the
Adove SVG Viewer is behaving correctly. Basically, when you have an
element in a foreign namespace within your SVG document display will be
disabled on this element and its subtree. Meanwhile, you still have
complete access to its DOM so you can fiddle with it. I was not on the
Working Group for SVG 1.0 and do not know why SVG elements within a
parent element on a foreign namespace do not render, but I presume it
is linked to the lack of context for rendering. Think of it, what if
your foreign element describes a transformation or any graphic data
that could apply to all of its children, how do you rendre your SVG
element bearing in ming the spec says foreign elements are ignored for
rendering? Anyway, you can read on in the Extensibility section of the
SVG 1.0 spec.

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/extend.html

Antoine
--
Antoine Quint <antoine.quint@fuchsia-design.com>
SVG Consultant & Research Engineer, Fuchsia Design