   Re: [xml-dev] XML Catalogs and Public Ids

Leigh Dodds scripsit:

> > There are two cases in which a public id can exist without a system id:
> > in a NOTATION declaration, and after delegating to a new catalog via
> > delegatePublic (in which case the original system id is discarded).
>
> I'd missed this also. Is there any particular reason why the system id is
> discarded, or is this another hold-over from TR9401?

The typical use case for system entries is to map a well-known but remote URI,
such as a DTD hosted at www.w3.org, to some local URI providing the same
content.  If your catalog delegates public ids to my catalog, you don't want
to pick up my random system entries if there happens to be a match.

--
John Cowan   jcowan@reutershealth.com  http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Most languages are dramatically underdescribed, and at least one is