   RE: [xml-dev] Can XML Schemas do this?

  • To: "Bryce K. Nielsen" <bryce@sysonyx.com>,"xml-dev" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Can XML Schemas do this?
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 14:05:05 -0800

It seems my last mail on this didn't get through or was ignored. Anyway
here goes again, there are serious implementation concerns with
supporting unordered elements in combination with minOccurs/maxOccurs in
W3C XML Schema because the FSM would become quite large.

The W3C XML Schema recommendation created the xs:all compositor which
allows one to create unordered content models in limited scenarios. It
turns out that after some implementation experience on the part of
schema processor developers we have realized that these rules were
conservative and something akin to RELAX NG's <interleave> is workable.
However general unorderedness is still difficult to validate in
combination with all the other rules of W3C XML Schema especially
derivation.

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he

rights.