   Re: [xml-dev] Including other DTDs

Hi Henry,

Thanks for your reply.

> > <!ENTITY % VHG SYSTEM "http://www.vhg.org.uk/dtd/vhgdtd.html";>
> > <!ELEMENT Terms (%VHG;)>
> > <!ATTLIST Terms %xmlns;>
>
> That's completely bogus -- you can't shove an html document (which is
> indeed what's at the end of that URL) in to an element declaration.

That's what I was afraid for. I did search for other DTDs that use this
system and indeed found none (which makes sense now). It's kind of strange
to publish such a 'bogus' DTD, but that's another discussion.

> <!ENTITY % VHG SYSTEM "http://www.vhg.org.uk/dtd/vhg.dtd";>
> %VHG;
>
> That's the proper way to compose DTD documents, _if_ they are designed
> for it.

Yes, that's how I include the above mentioned DTD in my own DTD. You mention
that the DTDs should be designed for composition. I suppose you refer to
collision of element names? At least that's the major problem I see with
this way of including another DTD. And as far as I know DTDs are not
namespace aware, so you can't just associate another namespace with the
included DTD.

Regards,
Remco de Boer