   Re: [xml-dev] escaping QName interlopers

> >For RDF purposes, at least, the QName to URI mapping is done by
> >concatenating the namespace name with the local name, so that if
> >xmlns:xml is "http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"; then xml:space is
> >"http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespacespace";.  This is ugly, wherefore
> >most RDF-related namespace names end in either "/" or "#".  IMHO this
> >is a fine convention.
>
> IMHO this is a pathetic hack, and something unlikely to persist as any
> kind of official conversion.  Its complete lack of coordination with
> "how URI syntax works" per RFC 2396 is nothing short of hilarious.

True, but I've always preferred using http://example.com/page and
http://example.com/page#part_in_a_page as a way to tell the difference.  So
using a namespace that ends in a slash, for me, usually means take of that
annoying trailing slash and stick a #part in order to refer to a piece within
it.  Seeing http://example.com/page/part_in_a_page always make me think the last
part is an entirely different page, not a part of the previous portion of the
URL.

Is there a good/bad reason not to do it this way?  I mean, beyond the fact that
sometimes people who created a given URI did so without really grasping the
larger issues and are being strangely stubborn about getting over it and fixing
things.

-Bill Kearney