   Re: [xml-dev] escaping QName interlopers

wkearney@ideaspace.net (Bill Kearney) writes:
>> >For RDF purposes, at least, the QName to URI mapping is done by
>> >concatenating the namespace name with the local name, so that if
>> >xmlns:xml is "http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"; then xml:space
>> >is "http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespacespace";.  This is ugly,
>> >wherefore most RDF-related namespace names end in either "/" or
>> >"#".  IMHO this is a fine convention.
>>
>> IMHO this is a pathetic hack, and something unlikely to persist as
>> any kind of official conversion.  Its complete lack of coordination
>> with "how URI syntax works" per RFC 2396 is nothing short of
>> hilarious.
>
>True, but I've always preferred using http://example.com/page and
>http://example.com/page#part_in_a_page as a way to tell the
>difference. So using a namespace that ends in a slash, for me, usually
>means take of that annoying trailing slash and stick a #part in order
>to refer to a piece within it.  Seeing
>http://example.com/page/part_in_a_page always make me think the last
>part is an entirely different page, not a part of the previous portion
>of the URL.

The description you provide is pretty accurate.
http://example.com/page/part_in_a_page  refers to a resource identified
as http://example.com/page/part_in_a_page , while
http://example.com/page#part_in_a_page refers to a fragment of the
resource identified http://example.com/page.

>Is there a good/bad reason not to do it this way?

As long as you're referring to resources and fragments inside resources,
it makes great sense.  How that should relate to QNames is a weirdly
different problem - one where people appear to have confused string
concatenation with URI processing.

>I mean, beyond the
>fact that sometimes people who created a given URI did so without
>really grasping the larger issues and are being strangely stubborn
>about getting over it and fixing things.

That part appears to be unfixable, with the people who created URIs in
general as well as with the people who created particular URIs.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!