   Re: [xml-dev] ASN.1t schema languages?

On Thursday 23 January 2003 15:26, Tim Bray wrote:

> > Sounds like it was a lame implementation, rather than ASN.1 itself at
> > fault... ASN.1/BER handles Unicode fine, and normally works OK!
>
> Sorry, not good enough.  When someone sends me a pile of what's alleged
> to be XML
>
> (a) I can use lots of impartial 3rd-party software to find out whether
> it really is or not, and
> (b) That software runs pretty fast, and
> (c) It never breaks non-ASCII characters.

That's nothing to do with XML; that's to do with the software you have lying
around.

> I've actually had consistently nasty experiences with (alleged) ASN.1.
> Is there actually a widely-available utility out there that I can
> download from somewhere that will reliably and robustly read BER-encoded
> ASN.1?  Google dosn't find much.

Search for asn1dump. Just about every tool that does it is called asn1dump
:-) I was trying to find the asn1dump utility I have at home, but instead I
found loads of others. Or dumpasn1, come to think of it.

http://www.lymeware.com/download_fw.html

Oh, look, there's even a debian package of dumpasn1.

ABS

--
A city is like a large, complex, rabbit
 - ARP