   Re: [xml-dev] many-to-many

* I am late to the game, as usual *

> That model works well when you are just fetching representations for human
> or machine consumption.  When you want to make *assertions*, though, you
> have a problem.  Consider http://www.heritage.org/images/shakespeare.jpg .
> Now does that refer to *Shakespeare*, the playwright who was born on
> or about 1564-04-23?  Or does it refer to a *picture of Shakespeare*,
> which is in JPEG format and contains 176 by 190 pixels?  And if it refers
> to one of them, how does one refer to the other?

I just wanted to chime in that I did dereference the link almost immediately
and got a good laugh out of it. Another interesting example would be to
refer to an image of some object, say a pipe
http://www.library.upenn.edu/finearts/slide/286/28601045.htm-- Ceci n'est
pas une pipe. Then we are getting somewhere-- or nowhere. Or if something
more recent is preferred, Giselle Beiguelman recently worked on a project at
http://www.desvirtual.com/nike/ -- Ceci n'est pas une nike.

In any event, thanks for the link, your point was well made...

Jeff Rafter