   Re: [xml-dev] many-to-many

Tim Bray scripsit:

> If I have a resource that I
> claim represents Shakespeare (probably for the purpose of making
> statements about him) then if dereferencing returns something, it better
> plausibly be a representation of the late bard.

But then you have no way of talking about *that very representation*,
and you have, instead of using two kinds of references, now created
two kinds of resources: those that are represented by themselves, and those that
are represented by something else.

> For example, it could
> be the content of the .jpg file.  If I claim that the URI
> .../Shakespeare.jpg identifies a picture of some particular person, then
> any representation should be of the picture.

Ah, you are thinking of some *physical picture*.  But I meant the electronic
one.

If a URI is said to represent Shakespeare, such that giving properties
associated with the URI are interpreted as properties of Shakespeare,
and if doing a GET returns an electronic document which is a representation
of Shakespeare, then how does one give properties of the electronic document
without mixing them up with properties of Shakespeare?

If the answer is "separate URIs", then one will never stop except by using
non-retrievable URIs to represent things which are not documents, and
retrievable URIs to represent documents.

--
Long-short-short, long-short-short / Dactyls in dimeter,
Verse form with choriambs / (Masculine rhyme):  jcowan@reutershealth.com