   Re: [xml-dev] What is a "resource"? (Was: many-to-many)

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 10:26:30PM -0500, Jonathan Borden wrote:
> I never said that I could determine whether some arbitrary thing has a URI.
> On the other hand I _assure you_ that there are things that do not have a
> URI. For example "the concept that I am thinking about right now", or "the
> whisp of air that just struck my cheek" Now I might assign URIs to any
> number of such ephemeral things but if I don't are you suggesting that such
> things might actually have URIs that I don't know about?

Yes, exactly.  Somebody else may have minted them.

> We don't need to get overly philosophical about things, just realize that
> when you say that "A resource might be anything that has identity" you are
> talking about *anything* and this includes more things than you might
> imagine.

For sure, but I'm not really sure how you meant that to relate to the
point above.  If you meant that the probability of somebody already
having a URI for an obscure concept like "what Jonathan's thinking about
right now" is low, then I'd agree.  But it's still non-zero.

MB