   RE: [xml-dev] Is Resource/Representation a fruitful abstraction? (was Re

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Is Resource/Representation a fruitful abstraction? (was Re: [xml-dev] many-to-many)
  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:32:05 -0600

The problem is one of the RFC itself.  It the definition
of the URI as used in RDF and in The Traditional Web
both refer to the same RFC and that RFC uses a model
with a semantic of resource/representation, then there
is a conflict.  If the RFC is rewritten to discard
that and provide only the properties of syntax
and uniqueness, then all parties can return to their
own corners and do the right thing in their own
universe.  The identifier only needs to be uniform,
not universal (across models).

Otherwise, the way to proceed is
to teach implementors to ignore that part of the
RFC which is not applicable to the task at hand.

"Dare to do less" means "operate in your own universe".

len