   RE: [xml-dev] malfunctioning, evil adult as XML

Oops.  Forgot my favorite (mostly relevant) bit:
> When the markup overhead exceeds 200%, when attributes values and
> element contents compete for the information, when the distance
> between 99% of the "tags" is /zero/, when the character set is
> Unicode, and when validation takes more time than processing, not to
> mention the sorry fact that information longevity is more
> /threatened/ by XML than by any other data representation in the
> history of computing, then SGML has gone from good kid, via bad
> teenager, to malfunctioning, evil adult as XML.

That set of practices is at least worth contemplation.

(I think, based on earlier comments in the message, that his complaint
about "the character set is Unicode" isn't directly about Unicode. He
seems annoyed that we continue to use character references when Unicode
is directly available.  I'm not certain about that, though.)

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!