   Re: [xml-dev] malfunctioning, evil adult as XML

At 2:52 PM +0200 1/31/03, m batsis wrote:

>On the other hand, I would enjoy the flexibility of
>
><foo bar="bla"/>
>
>being the same as
>
><foo>
>    <bar>bla</bar>
></foo>
>
>as it would alow an attribute to be "promoted" to elements when multi-valued.

I wouldn't enjoy this. Elements and attributes are not the same
thing. Attributes don't have order. Elements do. Elements can contain
other elements. Attributes can't. If I don't need attributes, I just
won't use them.

That said, it strikes me, it would be straight-forward to write a SAX
filter that converted all attributes to child elements in this form
if you really wanted to. The problem arises if this gets into the
actual text documents that comprise XML. Then the element forms start
doing things the attributes can't.

|           Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)          |
|              http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava             |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA  |