   RE: [xml-dev] malfunctioning, evil adult as XML

Erik doesn't take prisoners.  Never did.  To his
credit, he was a prodigious and mighty worker for
SGML and on the comp.text.sgml list.  I'm rather
glad he continues to blaze brightly.  "Shine on
you crazy diamond."

OTW, what James said about attributes.  We spent
far too much time in X3D arguing trying to explain
the impedance mismatches of VRML fields (where
fields can have objects) to XML attributes. My
reservation here is that explaining attributes
only seems to be a problem when talking to a
well-trained programmer.  Humans don't seem
to have problems with them at all.  Look at the
uptake of languages like HTML which make considerable
use of them.  So as a bridge between the programming
world and the humans, markup works remarkably well
and we should be cautious when the programming
language experts start to fix it.

The web is not meant to be a programmer's paradise,
or at least, that isn't what made it useful to so
many.

len