   Re: [xml-dev] XML in Real Life

On Friday 31 January 2003 13:53, John Cowan wrote:
> Yesterday I received a letter addressed thus:
>
> 	JOHN &AMP GALE COWAN
>
> Gale's my wife.  There was no semicolon, though.

Nah, I blame HTML. One of the big problems with the 'everything as a string'
concept is that quoting gets nasty - very many Web apps get it wrong, either
with \'ing text for insertion into SQL queries, &ing text for inserting
into HTML forms, or (more rarely) %20ing text for URL strings.

I presume that the address they have for you was, at some point, prepared for
display in HTML but the HTML version ended up being stored :-)

In some apps, you can keep hitting "Change my details" then "Ok" (without
changing anything) in a loop, and each iteration around the loop there's
another level of nested quoting :-)_

ABS

--
A city is like a large, complex, rabbit