   Re: [xml-dev] The subsetting has begun

[Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>]
 >As far as I can see, the following statements are true:

 >1. People will subset XML. They already have.

 >2. Developers will write code that only processes those subsets.

 >3. The result will be reduced interoperability if developers think
 >    that they can use that code for general-purpose XML processing.

Well said Sir! In (2) and (3) I'd substitute present tense for future tense.
Take any XML system that starts with an XML editing tool. Swap out that
editor for any other. Watch all the downstream process break.

Replace the original editor. Now replace the parsers etc. used in the
downstream
processes. Again, watch all the downstream process break.

That's the reality in my experience.

Not all the problems are attributable to the moving parts in the XML spec.,
the knock-on efffected
into related specs or the eclectic 'non-feature' sets of XML tools - but a
goodly proportion
of them are :-(

Sean

http://seanmcgrath.blogspot.com