   Re: [xml-dev] The subsetting has begun

From: "Sean McGrath" <sean.mcgrath@propylon.com>

> [Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>]
>  >As far as I can see, the following statements are true:
>  >1. People will subset XML. They already have.
>  >2. Developers will write code that only processes those subsets.
>  >3. The result will be reduced interoperability if developers think
>  >    that they can use that code for general-purpose XML processing.
> Well said Sir! In (2) and (3) I'd substitute present tense for future tense.
> Take any XML system that starts with an XML editing tool. Swap out that
> editor for any other. Watch all the downstream process break.
> Replace the original editor. Now replace the parsers etc. used in the
> downstream processes. Again, watch all the downstream process break.

Is this a challenge?  What editors are you thinking about, and how do
they break the downstream processes?

Is this editors which do/don't collapse everything to a single line or what?
How do we make sure our editors are not sinister forces for unexpected
evil in the production chain, as Sean seems to suggest?

Rick Jelliffe