   Re: [xml-dev] getting undisered results , when trying to display japane

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] getting undisered results , when trying to display japanese characters
  • From: "Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@allette.com.au>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 20:58:30 +1100

From: "asim" <qazi@advcomm.net>

> this my XSL file with japnese characters. if I transform it (my transformation > funtions is wriiten bellow the file)  it shows me "?" question marks , plz help, > i did saved this file as UTF-8 and using win2k notepad.

HTML is horrible to work with, for multilingual work.

There are several places where problems can creep in:

1) The browser is using the wrong encoding.  Check whether
your browser has been set to "auto-detect" the encoding, or
whether it is fixed to some other encoding.   (In this case, the
"?" means "unexpected code".)

2) Your system may have fonts installed which do not have
the Japanese characters.  This is less likely nowdays, but
still can happen.  (In this case, the "?" means "unavailable
character")

3) You are reading the files over the web, and the webserver
is not labelling the data correctly. You need to check your
web-server's documentation for this, for example to set the
.htaccess file correctly if you are using Apache. (In this case,
the "?" means "unexpected code".)

I hope these are some use.  A systematic approach is better than
trial and error: in a HEX editor, look at the HTML file your XSLT
script produces:-- if the Japanese characters each take three bytes
where all the bytes are > 0x80, then your file is indeed UTF-8
and you can concentrate on the HTTP and browser side of things.
If the Japanese characters take two characters each, then it is not
UTF-8 and you need to look at your XSLT code and implementation.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe