   Re: [xml-dev] Xqueeze: Compact XML Alternative (revised)

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Xqueeze: Compact XML Alternative (revised)
  • From: Tahir Hashmi <code_martial@softhome.net>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 18:00:48 +0530

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 12:55:45 +0530
Tahir Hashmi wrote:

Hello all!

This is to announce a revision in Xqueeze grammar that includes the
following changes:

1) Ability to parse arbitrary documents without schema

2) Processing Instructions, Namespace declarations and prefixes

3) Support for inline DTDs

This revision is still in draft form since the reference
implementation doesn't reflect the above changes but I hope to
implement these soon. You may download the specification from
http://xqueeze.sourceforge.net/xqueeze-specs-draft.pdf (The document
is also significantly better written this time, I hope!)

The ability to parse arbitrary documents without the knowledge of
schema is an important one since this allows a parser to report the
structure of the document and all of the data contained inside to the
calling application. xqML Processors can thus have an extra stage of
operation - substitution - that sits between parsing and validation.

This gives an application the option to operate with string
substitutions done with the help of a data dictionary (Xqueeze
Association) as well as symbols, without any substitutions. This may
be useful for applications that work with fairly stable schema so that
they can code their logic in terms of symbols.

I intend to preserve this ability in all the future revisions of
Xqueeze specification. The other issues I'd try to address are:

- data types: fundamental data-types recognizable by the parser
  without referring to schema

- random access

Thanks

--
Tahir Hashmi (VSE, NCST)
http://staff.ncst.ernet.in/tahir

We, the rest of humanity, wish GNU luck and Godspeed