   Life as an SGML Neanderthal (WAS RE: [xml-dev] The subsetting has begun)

Homegrown vegetables at organic prices
for vegan tastes?

There was no "standard" for the output,
as I recall.  ESIS was the attempt to
get that sort of thing, and it was
the grandfather of the infoset.  ESIS
wasn't part of the SGML standard; it
was an afterthought.  An SGML parser
vendor of the time can probably detail
the true skinny.  Gavin?

Life in the markup world used to be a
lot woolier.  We lived in caves carved
out of ancient brick and mortar, ate consultants
half cooked over a fire of burning DoD contracts,
carried spears made of left-over dedicated word
processors and dipped in DSR poison, wore the skins
of our marketing staffs, and met once a year in Boston to
celebrate the summer solstice with the
local SGML Wiccans.  We collected coffee
cups from CALS contractors who traded them
for the arcane incantations to invoke the
Internet gods to command telnet demons
to fetch an RFP from a bulletin board.
We abused WYSIWYGers and sat in council
huts debating the uselessness of
modeling document structures in relational
tables, all to the beat of the drums of
The SGML Way (whatever happened to that
band? one hit and pooof.. gone from the
charts).

Life was short and brutal.  Standards
were long and brutal.  Trips to DC were
just brutal.

Things are better now.  Where are my
anti-psychotics?

len

From: Joe English [mailto:jenglish@flightlab.com]
worked without the ESIS.

OK, I'm deeply confused.  I'm having a hard time imagining
any SGML application that doesn't at least care about
element boundaries and attribute values.

If these applications didn't use the ESIS, what could
possibly be left over that they *did* use?