   On the promotion and demotion of information items (was Re: [xml-dev] RE

From: "Danny Ayers" <danny666@virgilio.it>

> Who, BTW, hadn't looked too closely at what was being done (shame on MS),
> but neither is convinced that splicing up XML with regexp is much better
> practice ;-)

Doesn't this demonstrate something a little different?

MS considered the information in the comments not important enough for
people to use for processing.  Because XML has comments, they did not
have to throw the information away just because it does not fit into their
model: they jsut note the information as a second-class citizen.

Now along comes someone else who thinks "Oh, actually I can make use
of that information!"  The idea that people choose the information they
want in an XML document does not only mean that people demote (strip)
information items they are not interested in, it also can mean that people
promote information items that the data provider was not interested in.

It seems to me that promotion and demotion go hand-in-hand, when
you have blind data exchange.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe