   Re: [xml-dev] On the promotion and demotion of information items (was Re

"Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@allette.com.au> writes:

> > Incidentally, some WXS experts might say that you want to allow any
> > elements in namespaces other than yours at any position in the
> > document, and attributes in other namespaces on any elements precisely
> > because this allows "I don't know what it is but I included it anyway"
> > information "anywhere" in the document.
>
> Good point.
>
> But it is a bogus approach, because if the schema writer thought the
> information was useful, they would have made the elements in the same
> namespace.
>
> The trouble is that it makes it the problem of the schema-writer to foresee
> that they missed something.  And human nature does not work like that IMHO.

As long as Len is going on his Neanderthal nostalgia, I might mention
that when I programmed for a certain government entity, and they used
fixed record-length files (don't ask), the requirement was to allocate
so many bytes at the end of each structure one designed for a field
that had to be called FFU. For Future Use.

Ari.