   Re: [xml-dev] [OT] Looking for a text algorithm

The soundex and multiphone algorithms convert strings to sound equivalents:
a kind of multiphone algorithm is probably similar to what you are looking for.
These were created to allow hashed lookup up family names based on sounds,
and (in the case of soundex at least) work on the assumption that spelling mistakes
are more common later in words than earlier.

They work by mapping letters to a simplified alphabet (or to numbers): soundex
uses only 6:--for example,  all vowels and h are ignored, and B and P are merged,
and then consecutive duplicates are removed.

Some spelling checkers work by using the resulting key as a hash into a large
sparse table, which contains the correct spelling of words with that rough sound.
I gather that the free "aspell" spell-checking software uses some version of
multiphone.

One more recent rub is that, because English spelling is so variable and because
there are so many foreign names and words, it may be more desirable to create
multiple keys per word.  For example, so that the string "gh" gets mapped
to "F" and "".

I have been looking at this this week, actually, to see whether to put in a
"sounds like" search facility.  I think each use case works best with slightly
modified algorithms.     (One thing I found really interesting is that Thai
sometimes shares consonants between syllables: the same consonant
is held to terminate the previous syllable and start the next, in some cases.)

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe