   Re: [xml-dev] [OT] Looking for a text algorithm

Rick Jelliffe writes:

 > The soundex and multiphone algorithms convert strings to sound
 > equivalents: a kind of multiphone algorithm is probably similar to
 > what you are looking for.  These were created to allow hashed
 > lookup up family names based on sounds, and (in the case of soundex
 > at least) work on the assumption that spelling mistakes are more
 > common later in words than earlier.

Thank you.  I am familiar with soundex, but unlike a hashing
algorithm, it does not produce a fixed-length key -- all other things
(proportion of vowels and significant clusters) being the same,
a longer string will have a longer key.

All the best,

David

--