   RE: [xml-dev] XML Binary and Compression

At 9:27 AM -0500 3/10/03, msc@mitre.org wrote:
>Rusty,
>
>The corresponding paper can be found here:
>
>http://www.idealliance.org/papers/xml02/dx_xml02/papers/06-02-04/06-02-04.pd

Thanks. The key point I gather from reading the paper is:

     Because of the sensitive nature of the study data, the
     element names used in the sample XML data cannot be
     discussed in this paper. It can be noted, however, that
     the tag names used were unabbreviated, descriptive
     terms.

     As mentioned above, the precise structure and content of
     the samples cannot be presented here. However, the
     general structure and data types of the XML documents
     used for the study can be discussed. These are
     illustrated in Figure 1, below. Although the study data
     is not available to the reader, this depiction should
     indicate that the XML sample structure and content is
     sufficiently rich for the study purposes.

In other words the raw data is not available, so it's impossible for
anybody to independently verify these results. Perhaps more
importantly, we can't tell whether the data set used to produce these
results is similar to the sorts of XML data we're working with or
not. We don't know whether these results would likely be reproducible
in our own environments.

|           Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)          |
|              http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava             |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA  |