   Re: [xml-dev] Doing Web services right

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> Because jumping to SOAP is making a much larger change in the kind of
> information you're sending over that POST request.  Sure, I prefer XML
> over key-value pairs.  That doesn't make SOAP a good idea.

sometimes it makes SOAP a great idea. I've recently designed a ws
where the user sends us a large set of structured data called a
'contract', which we process and make available when the client logs into
our web site. to the user, who already has all this data available on
his/her backoffice system, pressing a button sure beats filling out an
endless series of html forms for every contract. for us, we get data that
we can validate and feed almost straight into the XML infrastructure of
our backend. all without compromising on security or resilience. to me,
that's good technology.

/m

Martin Klang
http://www.o-xml.org - the object-oriented XML programming language